Sunday, 3 July 2005

A beautiful day

So S, T, C and I had a great day out on Sunday. We drove down to Point Nepean where they've created a state park at the very end tip of the Mornington Peninsula. It was a gun battery point from the mid 1800s through to the end of WWII and a fair amount of the peninsula is still fenced off as Commonwealth land with warning signs about unexploded ordinances.
Unexploded Bombs

But there are a series of paths you can follow to the tip of the point with great views of Port Phillip Bay, Bass Strait and Queenscliff. We climbed up Cheviot Hill (the highest point on the point) and looked out over Cheviot Beach where Harold Holt disappeared in 1967 (kidnapped by Russians in submarines so the conspiracy theorists declare!).
Cheviot Beach

If I was the Yarn Harlot, I would have had the corkscrew scarf I've just started (Teva Durham design from Loop-d-Loop) with me to star in the photos, but I didn't think about blogging this day until I got home to watch the (delayed) telecast of Live8 (I put my name to the list) and there was Bono singing Beautiful Day, which today was.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is'nt it lovely that we celebrate this drowning by naming a swimming pool complex after him !

Paisley said...

a marvellous gesture - I've swum there a couple of times. Think I even tried a yoga class as well.