Friday, 16 September 2005

Puzzles rule!

Genevieve has inspired me to try my hand at Sudoku and now I can see what all the fuss is about. Seriously addictive. But yesterday's was "diabolical" and I seemed to be going along OK using just basic logic. Pride commeth before a fall though. Suddenly I ran out of correct spaces and realised that there must have been some faulty logic along the way and of course there's no real way to rectify it unless you remember what order you entered everything onto the grid.

It reminded me of a Latin curse I learnt in my university days (not in class - didn't study Latin, but a friend had a book of "useful" Latin phrases) - Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant! Which apparently translates as "May faulty logic undermine your entire philosophy!"

I couldn't face starting again. Plus, the quilts needed some attention. So I threw it in the recycling bin in disgust thinking "tomorrow's another day".

[My other favourite curse from the book was Utinam modo subiunctivo semper male utaris! - may you always mis-use the subjunctive - I studied French for 7.5 years and I never got the hang of the subjunctive - what the hell's a "mood" anyway? See here for other useful Latin phrases - quoted, I believe, from the same book]

I took another Sudoku from The Guardian to work on while I was at the blood bank yesterday and the nurse who was taking my blood told me that she was pretty hooked on them as well, but one of the other nurses (can't remember her name, let's call her Beryl for argument's sake) was the real Sudoku Queen of the donor centre. Then of course on the train this morning (when I was knitting, not Sudoku-ing) I was sitting opposite a mum working through a book of Sudoku whilst her two daughters were doing wordsearches. Sudoku is everywhere. Puzzles Rule!

2 comments:

Genevieve said...

Awesome! I'm so proud! I've never successfully finished a diabolical one, either.

I also got my sisters addicted over last weekend. They did all the "gentle" puzzles in the book I bought!

Anonymous said...

I got addicted to Sudoku during my last drilling holiday in WA. C.