Friday, 25 November 2005

Collins Street 5pm

I went to the NGV at Fed Square at lunchtime today for a quick wander around. As always, I seem to be drawn to this painting.



I walk along this stretch of Collins Street most days and the Zeitgeist (wow - big word Paisley) captured in this painting really hasn't changed in the 50 years that have passed since Brack put brush to canvas in 1955.

I must set aside another lunchtime or perhaps come in on the weekend and see the Margaret Preston exhibition. I haven't heard of her before, but her works look familiar. Looks like she did quite a lot of wood or lino cut prints as well as paintings.

2 comments:

the stripey tiger said...

Yep - its melbourne alright - except for the hats! You'll love Margaret Preston. It's a pretty comprehensive exhibition, she was a remarkable artist. I really enjoyed seeing the early paintings. And seeing all the wood cuts AT ONCE was just great!!! I've never been fond of the 'aboriginal inspired' work but the other stuff is lovely. :-) Enjoy.
ps the garden looks good.

Anonymous said...

haha. losers.