Wednesday, 2 November 2005

Cup weekend in the Grampians

We had an extra long weekend in the Grampians, staying in a holiday house in Halls Gap. Highlights included:

A hike in to see the Beehive Falls.
Beehive Falls

looking at Beehive Falls

A day trip to have lunch with my parents - my Mum was game enough to take on the challenge of providing lunch for 5 extra grown-ups plus 2 toddlers, including 1 vegetarian and 1 wheat/sugar/dairy intolerant. We had a delicious meal and the kids had a great time picking lemons from Mum's overladen tree in the back yard. Mum met S's fiancee/hubby T2 for the first time and reported to me later that he was "very handsome". She's a lucky girl our SeaBreeze.

We called in at T1's old boarding school that he attended for a year when he was a "problem" teenager and managed to run into the only teacher left at the school from his time there - not bad going for a Sunday! T1 was stoked to take that little trip down memory lane. We ducked in to my old school too and spotted the vice principal who's been there since at least 1979 and never looks any different. Why are all these teachers hanging out at work on a Sunday arvo?

From our little holiday cabin, we could look up and see The Pinnacle. We did the climb up to the top (took about 1.5 hours from the car park).

Half Way Mark:

Half way to the Pinnacle

View from the top looking down to the township:

The Pinnacle

Arrived back home yesterday, having dropped off Y, T1 and the girls at their little house in the big woods. I listened to the Melbourne Cup as I was driving back into Melbourne, and gave a little "woo hoo" when Makybe Diva won for the third year in a row. I don't think something like that will happen again in my lifetime.

Yesterday was the first hot day of the summer to come (32 degrees C which is about 89 in fahrenheit), so I tried out the air conditioner for the first time (I haven't lived in a house with air conditioning for the last 5 years, so it was a great novelty) and found I could keep the living room cool enough to quilt in which is a relief in anticipation of the mad quilting frenzy that will be the summer of weddings and blasted wedding quilts. Bah humbug!

3 comments:

Sea Breeze said...

I shan't tell T2 he is handsome lest he get a big head. But I agree with ur mum - he is handsome.

Genevieve said...

Pretty pictures!

and I don't know how you lived without a/c. I don't pay electricty (included in my rent) so I probably over use the a/c, but I love it.

Anonymous said...

I tottaly agree T2 is a handsome Bloke.