Saturday, 25 March 2006

My first sock


Blue sock completed
Originally uploaded by Paisley Womble.
I think I'm starting to get why so many knit-bloggers seem to be addicted to sock knitting. Trying to approach this methodically, I worked my way through "Socks 101" and this is the end result which isn't bad. I'll certainly wear it - assuming I can get the second one to match.
My only concern is the cuff. I've used the long tail method (or at least what I think is the long tail method from what I can make of various instructions) and it has a certain amount of strech, but it won't go any higher on my legs (my calves are decidedly bigger than my ankles). I think if I wanted the socks to go higher, then I would need to do a bit more shaping in the leg.
I was a bit anxious about the ladders that you sometimes get where you switch from one dpn to another, but that seemed to be ok as long as I pulled the first couple of stitches really tight.
The yarn (a wool/nylon blend) is a lot softer than the itchy woollen socks you get in the shops. I'm not sure how well they'll wear. I might need to go down a needle size or two to make them tougher (I used 3mm) next time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The sock looks really good. Well done!
C.

Genevieve said...

the sock is great! aren't socks fun? I don't know how big 3mm needles are, but I am using a US0 for my baby socks, and I think I bent a couple of them. (they're metal)

Paisley said...

3mm are halfway between US sizes 2 and 3. US 0 = 2mm - that's small! No wonder you bent them. :-)