Tuesday, 11 April 2006

Taking orders


Plain Spoken inspiration
Originally uploaded by Paisley Womble.
My mum and my aunt will celebrate landmark birthdays next February (10 years and 5 days difference) and I have been planning to make a quilt for each of them. I'd made a start on one for Mum although I wasn't terribly enthused about how it was turning out (the strippy quilt referred to in the Quilt WIPs list). So when Mum started making noises that she'd found this quilt design that she really liked (nudge, nudge, hint, hint) I 'fessed up and asked her to send the picture. As soon as I saw it I thought of "Plain Spoken" - a design from The Modern Quilt Workshop (by Weeks Ringle & Bill Kerr). Click here to see a wee wonderful version of this spectacular quilt. My intention is to make a matching European pillowcase first which will allow me to experiment with quilting designs and then to make the quilt itself with the blocks doubled in size. I think that on a large quilt (Mum & R have a new queen-sized bed), the sheer volume of smaller blocks would be a bit too busy.
Aunty M's quilt is still in the planning stage - it's a Kaffe Fassett design from Quilt Road - and I've just started picking out fabrics from my stash.

No comments: