Friday, 19 May 2006

Counted


counters on Collins Street
Originally uploaded by Paisley Womble.
I've lost count of the number of times I've been counted this week. It seems that everywhere I go in the city, there are people wearing orange safety vests, carrying clipboards and those little clicker counter thingys. Mostly I've seen them on the railway platforms - 6 to a platform, each charged with counting how many people there are in a carriage.
But I also noticed them at a few intersections in the city. Here I spotted them sitting on the corner diagonally across from where I'm standing - you can just make out their orange vests (first use of the camera phone for blogging purposes). I'm fairly certain that they were counting the numbers of people crossing at each change of the lights.
I find it curious that such a large scale survey is being carried out in the same week that the state government has released it's latest "Transport and Liveability" Statement. It seems a bit kind of shutting the door after the horse has bolted... or perhaps I am missing something.

No comments: