Thursday, 18 May 2006

Paisley's Quilt History V

When I first started patching in my teens, I made a lot of cushions. They're quick, they allow for experimentation, they don't require large amounts of material, and they're vaguely useful, although there are those who would debate their usefulness.
This cushion most likely dates from circa 1992/1993. I learnt the English paper piecing method in 1992 when I made the Year 12 Sanity Quilt.
cushion and socks

The cushion is hand-pieced and hand-quilted (each block outlined about 1/8" in from the seam) and backed with a soft hessian-type fabric that Mum must have had lying about the house.
Another early piece - also quick and this time unquestionably useful is my hot water bottle cover.
hot water bottle

I don't recall when or where I made this, but given how worn-out it is, I'm guessing it dates from the mid 1990's. I was sick of wrapping my hot water bottle up in an old t-shirt and so whipped this cover up quickly from scraps. If I recall correctly, some of the fabric was from deconstructed aprons of Mum's that had already seen better days, so it's no wonder that some of the fabric has just about disintegrated now. For the last couple of winters I have looked at the cover and thought "I really must make a new one", but this one still does a great job at what it's meant to do. The wadding was mostly wool and this, coupled with my woollen doona, means the "hottie" stays warm to touch all night. So while it does its job, I'm loath to throw it out. Perhaps I could patch it. Any thoughts?

2 comments:

Donni said...

Well you could check out Rachaels Fashionista blog and see if there are any suggestions there? I kind of like it!

Jeanne said...

You could knit a hottie cover....