Thursday, 18 May 2006

You may recall...

...that in the couple of weeks prior to my birthday I was madly painting my bedroom, whilst camping out in my spare room. Ma chambre est fini (apart from hemming the curtains, which can wait until they've hung awhile).
bedroom completed

Below is the corner at the other end of the window in the picture above. It's a rather ugly armchair that's part of the three-piece suite I got when my great-aunt died. Eventually the suite will go to St Vinnies or the Salvos, but in the meantime, I've thrown an old single-bed doona over the chair and it's quite a comfy spot to sit and read when the sun is coming through the window (which faces north-westish - that means it gets afternoon sun in the southern hemisphere!)
bedroom corner

Other knitting news...
crusoe sock 01

Using the Knit Picks - Sock Memories - Grandma sock yarn that Genevieve sent me, I've cast on the first of a pair of Crusoe socks. I'm having to adapt the pattern as the Sock Memories gauge is nothing like the Koigu that the original pattern was made with. So I'm knitting on 64 sts rather than 44 that the pattern calls for. I'll have to do some more sophisticated maths when it comes to turning the heel [Lucky I've done Kate Atherley's Socks 101 - see Knitty.com for that one so shouldn't be too traumatic]. The stitch pattern is, as Marilyn points out, easy to remember and quite effective although it's interesting to watch how the colours sit on the sock. So far, they seem to be pooling a bit, with one side of the sock mostly dark and pale purple, while the other side gets a bit of everything - including the hot pink bits. I don't mind this (I know some knitters don't like "pooling") and I'm finding it very interesting to watch as the sock grows. I've read a few comments that the Crusoe pattern isn't very elastic so the end result is awaited with baited breath.

3 comments:

Emma said...

I AM using Koigu, and I had to rip out my 44 stitch progress and restart with 64 stitches. I couldn't even get it past my toes! Good luck.

Paisley said...

hmmm... maybe Marilyn has really loose tension then. 44 is quite different to 64...

Genevieve said...

I LOVE the way your room looks. I'm in the midst of cleaning & re-organizing my room (but not painting, as I am probably moving soon for school) so I'll post photos when I'm done.

I like the socks!