Wednesday, 14 June 2006

Projects pootling along

Once I determined that I would cast on 60 stitches for this sock, I determined that I wouldn't look at a pattern or instructions to test my understanding of back sock construction techniques and ratios. So far, so good. The only thing I still haven't mastered is Kitchener stitch. I finish off toes by turning the sock inside out and doing a three needle bind off. My rationalisation is that the toe needs extra reinforcement which the thicker bind-off technique provides.
However I'm reading all these other blogs which talk about toe-up socks and magic loop technique and I get very confused. Four or five dpn sets knitting cuff down seem to work pretty well for me but perhaps I should try these other techniques at some stage to judge them for myself.
I'm currently working on a Moebius Strip scarf using the Addi Turbos that I bought a few weeks ago. They knit pretty nicely and are quite light although they are a little cold. They're definitely nicer than ordinary metal needles, but I'm not sure whether I prefer them to bamboo. I probably need to do some more precision knitting before I make that call. The Moebius Strip (once you've got it started correctly) is not a challenging knit.
On the patchwork front, I'm working my way through piecing the Plain Spoken quilt.
Plain Spoken piecing 01

I'm a bit under half-way and I've set myself a deadline of the end of the week as the spare bed has to be clear for guests next Monday. In effect, this means finishing the piecing on Sunday at the latest. This isn't a particularly challenging deadline. As long as I exercise a little self-discipline.
It's late. My feet are cold. I'm off to bed with a hot water bottle.

2 comments:

Julia said...

I just read about your too long sleeves on the sunrise. I had the same problem. If you haven't yet frogged the cuffs, DON"T! I have an easier way to do this, decide which row of stitches is where you want it to hit at your wrist. then, thread some waste yarn through that row. then snip the cuff side row of stitches, and pull it out. Put the stitches from the waste yarn back on the needles, and reknit the turning row. Then stitch down the facing. It's actually easier than it sounds.

Paisley said...

Thanks Julia - I've had a couple of similar bits of advice and I will be heeding them when I can bear to look at the damn thing again! I think the worst thing will be unpicking the side seam!