Sunday, 16 July 2006

A new toy

I won an eBay auction for a wool winder today so by the end of the week I should have a new toy to play with as the seller is local. No skein of yarn will be safe. I'm still trying to work out the best way of getting my hands on a swift. Buying one from the US just too expensive - the shipping costs are nearly equal to the actual cost of the item. I was looking at them on eBay at work the other day and MM suggested that we could approximate the function with a dead dog nailed down on a lazy susan. He was talking through his hat of course, but the point was made that a simple swift wouldn't be that difficult to construct. Perhaps I could get one of my wood-worker uncles to help me out on this one.

2 comments:

Genevieve said...

oh, how fun! I totally want one of those. (and a swift, too) sitting on the couch using my knees to hold the skein while winding by hand is getting a wee bit annoying.

Paisley said...

I've tried knees and I've tried feet. Both work ok until you start getting to the end of the skein. I think a swift will be the way to go.