Tuesday, 8 August 2006

FOs

For the last week I've been fretting over my first Thuja sock. Specifically, whether there was enough yarn in a 50gm ball to complete a whole sock for a 6 foot man with 11" long feet. Last night my worries were assuaged. There is just enough left over to include as a little stock of yarn in case darning is required.
thuja 01

I cast on for sock 2 on the train this morning so I'm ahead of schedule on the timetable for these (trying to finish them by Fathers Day - 3 Sep).
Flush with the satisfaction of finishing a sock, I then whizzed through the second half of this pair of mittens that I've been working on intermittently. There's a few fingerless mitten patterns floating about at the moment. If I hadn't have already cast on for these Tiger Paws, then I would have been trying these fetching versions.
tiger paw 01tiger paw 02

The Tiger Paw pattern is from the most recent issue of Yarn (Issue 3, Winter 2006). The yarn is Filatura di Crosa Zara which is deliciously soft. I knit these on 3.75mm dpns which felt quite clumsy after using such fine needles for sock knitting.
Next in the sock queue? S wants a pair of "Ladies Useful Stockings" from Knitting Vintage Socks. Then I'm going to make RPM for myself. After that.... I'm open to suggestions... although I'm keen to work my through a few other patterns in Knitting Vintage Socks and I've got a stockpile of sock patterns from Knitty and a few other spots on the interweb.
My name is Paisley, I am a sock knitting addict.

3 comments:

Genevieve said...

very nice! I think I'm a sock addict as well. I've been working on Green Gables, and I told myself I wouldn't start anything else until it was finished, but I cast on for socks last night! To be fair, they are to be a birthday gift for an early Sept. birthday, but still!!

aija said...

Your mittens are great!! They're so visually interesting.

Grasshopper said...

I bow down before you oh Sock Guru.