Sunday, 27 August 2006

Weekend round up

I had a UFO shaped bee in my bonnet this weekend and managed to not start anything new. Instead I managed to finish this cushion which has been languishing - almost finished - in my sewing room for over a year. It's actually a knee cushion for us to use at work when we have to kneel on the reference desk to write up our weekly calendar on the white board (it's awkwardly positioned so that we can't reach the top when standing). The colours match our corporate branding which was developed a few years by some consulting firm. Red and grey for reliability (or some such reassuring phrase) and a splash of lime to represent our creativity. The splash of lime causes me much hilarity. I'm always amazed at the things that people will pay consultants to come up with.
knee cushion

A few weeks ago I posted about my handiwork's appearance on Whip Up.
I managed to guess a reasonably accurate estimate of when I pieced this Mariner's Compass because of the backing papers that were still in some of the pieces. Look closely and you'll spot the word "Lear". I did VCE Literature in year 12 and one of our texts was King Lear. Assuming that I didn't keep my photocopied notes for years and years, which I know I didn't, we can assume that I stitched this some time in late 1992 or 1993.
Mariner's CompassMariner's Compass backing paper

Weeks from Whip Up had suggested two options. One was a bag with the compass wrapped around it. The other was to cut the compass into segments and put them on a wall-hanging or napping quilt. I liked both of these ideas and decided to combine them. So I took to the compass with the rotary cutter. Then I appliqued the segments to a base in preparation for making a bag. The next step is to quilt both these pieces.
Mariner's Compass segmentsMariner's Compass appliqued

Sock knitting news:
  • RPM sock two is coming along. I'm knitting it inside out in order to reverse the swirl. It seems to be working so far.
  • I've also cast on for yarrow ribbed sock two.
  • I'm still hunting for the perfect sock yarn for S's useful ladies stockings.

1 comment:

Genevieve said...

lovely, lovely. I really like the way the cut up compass turned out so far.

and the cushion looks nice and should be quite practical! we actually have our own marketing department that comes up with ideas like that - our "team colors" are black & red, from what I can tell, but I have no idea why. I'm sure there's a very good reason.