Sunday, 1 October 2006

baby jacket


baby jacket
Originally uploaded by Paisley Womble.
I've knit this Baby Coat pattern quite a few times now. Two or three times as written and a couple of sized up versions. I've knit this one so that it will hopefully fit my cousin's baby next winter when he or she is 6 or 7 months old.
The colour is a little bit washed out in the photo. It's not quite so pastelly in real life. I'm really pleased with how the edging worked in the multi. I made use of the double decrease (slip 2 tog knitwise, knit 1, pass 2 slipped sts over) that I learnt from knitting the Sunrise Circle Jacket. Although if I was to do that again, I'd purl that centre stitch on the subsequent row rather than just knitting straight through as the corner turn becomes a bit bulky.

Specs:
Pattern: Baby's Coat by Mary Lee Herrick
Yarn: harvest pure wool (8 ply or dk weight) plus a bit of Marta's 8ply merino multi for the edging.
Sticks: 4mm circular (aero?) and 4mm hook for the edging.
Buttons: Pair from the button stash. Origin unknown.

5 comments:

ukbaby said...

It looks great! I'm knitting it now for the first time, and am worried that the decreases on the left arm won't look the same as the increases to finish it on the right arm...

How did you knit your m1?

thanks!

Paisley said...

I just did a knit into the front and back of the stitch for the increases. Because it's all garter stitch, the incs and decs are a bit more hidden in all the bumps.

Jan in CA said...

I just made this, but ended up making two halves and grafting because the increase and decrease didn't match. Yours looks great! Which ones did you use?

Jan

Paisley said...

Increases - knit in front and back of stitch.

Decreases - work one double decrease instead of paired decreases. Double decrease is slip 1, k2tog, psso.

My other hint is that when you've finished the knitting, you'll find that one side of the knitting will be a better match than the other. Decide which is the better and make that the outside.

Jan in CA said...

Thank you! I will give it a try again. Yours looks great!

Jan