Tuesday, 28 November 2006

an angel(?) in red shoes

I finished the vaguely remarkable socks last night and I'm wearing them today. They are proving to be more comfortable than I had expected given the non-fluffiness of the yarn. Perhaps it's a summer thing.

Vaguely-remarkable socks

The design uses the Chevron pattern from Charlene Schurch's Sensational Knitted Socks, the Dutch / Horseshoe flap heel from Nancy Bush's Knitting Vintage Socks, and a modified pointy toe (dec 6 per round - using p2 tog - every few rounds until 12 stitches left, then gather rem sts). I've decided that the Dutch heel is my favourite heel style trialled so far. I like the strong boxy shape that it forms and it sits nicely with the slipped heel stitch pattern (which I like to continue on the heel turn, not just the flap).

I found this group on Flickr called Handknit Socks + Shoes = Happiness Forever. I know it sounds a little bit fetishist (*) but nevertheless I joined up and this is my first contribution.

keep your eye on the red and the blue

When I bought these shoes I didn't really think about how bright they are. Sometimes I think they're just that little bit too Ronald McDonald-ish. But they get quite a lot of comments. I was in the lift with one of the senior partners the other day and he commented that "those are very bright shoes". I replied that yes they were very bright and that they were very comfy. Then I think he got worried that he'd said the wrong thing and he added "not that there's anything wrong with that". Then he started reminiscing about a song that Elvis Costello sang "before you were born" about an angel in red shoes. I'm older than I look but I'd never heard of it so I did what all good librarians do. I looked it up. The song is actually called (The angels wanna wear my) red shoes and it's from his debut album My Aim is True - released in 1977 - so I was born - I was two years old.

(*) Speaking of fetishists, I also found this Flickr group for Obsessive Sheep Photographers. There are some fantastic photos there. Sheep can be very photogenic with the right lighting.

1 comment:

Genevieve said...

I love the shoes AND the socks. And I know the song, too. :-)