Thursday, 2 November 2006

the circle of life

I looked up bee & wasp removals in the Yellow Pages and got a man in who came into the back yard and said "ah - you've got a swarm there". "No shit" was my unspoken response. Having sent me inside and donned his veil, he "dusted" the bees. They obviously didn't like that and I felt bad that evening as I swept up their remains. The bee-man reckoned I could put them on the garden as mulch - "the low toxin pesticide won't hurt the garden". I wasn't so sure, so they went into the green waste bin. My bee karma is a little low at the moment.

I did, however, take advantage of a morning off work to pop down to the local shops - the local Brotherhood op shop in particular where I scored these old pattern books ($2 for the three)which are in really good condition.

Patons Book C.14Patons Book C.19Patons Book 890

I love the expression on the baby's face in that third shot and I suspect that the next couple of years might well bring quite a few more babies into my circle of friends, so it will be fun to try out some more old fashioned designs. The gifts to knit book has a wide selection of tea cosy patterns and some tv and bed sock ideas that I am keen to try as well.

1 comment:

Genevieve said...

Sorry you had to kill the bees, but you do what you have to do. Might want to stay away from honey for a bit if you're afraid of bee retaliation, though :-)

the patten books are awesome! I totally dig old patterns and I always look for them in used book stores & the like but haven't had too much luck...