Wednesday, 15 November 2006

on the platform

In the interests of pushing the boundaries of strange behaviour on public transport (or at least pushing my own boundaries), I present photographic evidence of progress on the ladies useful stocking number one.

useful stocking progress

Knitting in public is a little bit unusual and possibly a little bit eccentric, but it is not weird or inexplicable. So today whilst waiting for my train, I got out my camera phone (hence the weird lighting) and snapped a shot of the sock.

I know, of course, that in the grand scheme of things I've got a long way to go before I can match the Yarn Harlot for sheer Chutzpah (I'm not brave enough to ask complete strangers to pose with my sock for photos). But for me it was a little step on the road to being the crazy old lady (who perhaps really isn't that mad) on the train that everyone gives a wide berth. Long live the life just a little less ordinary.

3 comments:

Genevieve said...

hooray. and also? always nice to have your own seat on a train, and if a little knitting can accomplish that, I say go for it.

I often knit on trains and planes.

Paisley said...

I get a lot of my knitting done on trains. No plane knitting though - knitting needles are still banned as dangerous pointy potential weapons at Australian airport security. You might be able to wangle an exception with bamboo circs, but it's just not worth the risk of getting them confiscated. :-(

Genevieve said...

we can bring them on planes. but not scissors. so you have to make sure you bring a project that you won't be ending any time during the flight!