Friday, 29 December 2006

Self-striping experiment

On Boxing Day I made a start on knitting up the Kool-Aid dyed self-striping sock yarn.

ROY sock 01

I'm using the Ridged Feather pattern from the Chevron section of Sensational Knitted Socks. I'm using a flap heel (Dutch) rather than the "Forethought" (variant on the afterthought) heel which the book suggests for the chevron patterns. I can't quite work out the point of an afterthought or forethought heel where you have to join yarns back in and fart about using provisional cast-ons in the middle of a sock. To me, one of the beauties of sock knitting (with either a short row or a flap heel) is the idea of the single piece of string creating a perfect three-dimensional object with no joins or stops and starts.

The best place to judge the success of the self-striping attributes is on the bottom of the sock.

ROY sock sole


It has worked quite well although the stripes are probably a little narrow. I now have a cunning plan of action for a simplified version of the self-striping Gryffindor socks that I was originally envisioning.

No comments: