Wednesday, 10 January 2007

A bag for Christmas

I knocked this bag up pretty quickly as a Christmas present for S, but I forgot to take photos before it was gifted. So last night, I combined collecting some salvaged concrete pavers with snapping a couple of shots so that I can show off my handy work.
Christmas bag

Patchwork like this is very low stress and quick as there is absolutely no requirement for accuracy which is usually the most angsty and time-consuming part of the patchwork process for me. I used a quilt-as-you-go method of foundation piecing. IE: Cut out a foundation piece for each side of the bag, cut a piece of wadding to match (I used a thinnish cotton batting), plonk wadding on top of foundation, plonk first piece of fabric in the middle, line up a second piece of fabric over the first, with the right side down, stitch through all layers, press open, continue adding bits of fabric this way until the foundation and wadding are completely covered. Simple and low stress.
Christmas bag reverse

I made a lining in the same way without the wadding and then used bias binding to finish off the opening. I'm not 100% sold on the method I used for the handles. I think I still need to experiment with different handle types. S is very happy with it though. She tells me that she feels "very Japanese" when she uses it to take her lunch to work.

On the current WIP front, I'm about to start the heel flap on the second ROY sock and I'm still madly trying to zoom through the quilting on Mum's birthday quilt - it's getting there, but I'm giving the air conditioner a good work-out in the process. And T2 has a birthday coming up. I have yarn. I'm thinking about socks (of course!).

1 comment:

OzKnitter said...

Wow, gorgeous bag!