Sunday, 4 February 2007

Plain Spoken

My mum and my aunt were born 10 years and 5 days apart. This February sees them celebrate their 60th and 70th birthdays respectively and the family is having a big birthday bash. Aunty M's quilt is a surprise for her, but Mum made it clear that she wanted a quilt and gave me some ideas of what she wanted. (link to old post on taking orders).
Plain Spoken is the result.
Plain Spoken 01

The pattern is from The Modern Quilt Workshop by Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr with the following modification. Mum wanted the quilt to fit their big new bed so I was faced with making a big queen sized quilt. The original finished block sizes were 1" x 7" and 3" x 7". I felt that in a really big quilt, blocks this size would look a bit too busy for the effect that I was trying to create. So I set my block sizes to be 3" x 12" and 6" x 12".
Plain Spoken 03

I knew I wanted to hand-quilt the project but I was also aware that I had a deadline so I thought about hand-quilting techniques that would be quicker than my usual quilting style. I had seen some almost naif style running stitch hand-quilting done by Kaffe Fassett on one his quilts and I thought that technique might suit my purposes. In order to test this before commencing on the full quilt, I made a couple of cushions which would match.
Plain Spoken cushion 01Plain Spoken cushion 02

The quilting is done with stranded embroidery thread. Two strands together in a running stitch. The design is random straight lines running at a 45 degree angle to the piecing.
Plain Spoken 02

Vital Statistics:
Dimensions - 84" x 90" (213cm x 228cm)
Machine Pieced
Hand-quilted (wool blend batting)
Completed January 2007

6 comments:

Rachael said...

wow, wow and wow, this quilt is amazing! And all that hand quilting, beautiful!!
What a wonderful gift to give your mother. well done

Genevieve said...

it's gorgeous!

and in yet another linguistic difference, we don't call what you call cushions cushions. Cushions to me means the part of the sofa or the chair that you can pull out and flip over, etc. What you call cushions, I call throw pillows.

Paisley said...

ah - I did wonder about that.

We only use the word pillow here for the ones that go under your head when you sleep.

shula said...

THAT is fantastic.

Bill Kerr said...

Bill Kerr from FunQuilts here - I just stumbled into your post. What a fabulous interpretation of the Plain Spoken quilt and a very generous gift. Great job with the colors, the quilting and the new scale for the blocks!

Renisa said...

What a wonderful colour combination! Looks very elegant! So much work to quilt it by hand!