Wednesday, 16 May 2007

Geranium Ribbed Lace Socks

I finished these a couple of weeks ago, but they were a present so I couldn't blog about them until they had reached their new owner. Genevieve and I share a birthday. If you factor in the different time zones, I'm 11 hours older - we worked it out once.
ribbed lace 02

So these pretty socks, which have winged their way to Brussels, will eventually end up back home in Washington DC, having begun their being in Melbourne. Well travelled socks indeed.
ribbed lace 01

Some project specifics?
I used the Ribbed Lace Pattern from Sensational Knitted Socks. I followed the pattern pretty much as written. My only deviation is to continue the slipped stitch pattern from the heel flap down to the end of the heel turn.
The yarn is from a local Melbourne girl who plies (boom boom - geddit?) her wares at The Knittery. This is the first time I've used the Merino Cashmere Sock blend, but I'll definitely be knitting with it again. It feels lovely and soft, and I get a nice gauge with 2.5mm needles (I used 2 2.5mm addi circs for these) which means that it knits up just that little bit quicker than the slightly lighter sock weights. The colour in Genevieve's socks is Geranium, and I'm very tempted by the green Forest Moss next time I'm in the purchasing mood. (The Knittery recently got a squeeeee from Lime & Violet on their podcast, so I wonder if her traffic went up after that.
ribbed lace pair

Speaking of being in the purchasing mood, I got a parcel from Simply Sock Yarn Co yesterday so I have some goodies to show off once I get a chance to photograph them in daylight. But I'll leave you with one word.

SeaWool.

5 comments:

Genevieve said...

thank you so much! I love love love them. They are so perfect.

(the funniest part, I think, about you being 11 hours older, is if you went by our birth certificate times, I actually am older)

Dave said...

Those socks are gorgeous! The semi-solids are wonderful for showing off stitch patterns.

Donyale said...

I started these but the yarn used caused me lots of grief. Once again, you have inspired me to do them again. Drat you oh Master.

Helen said...

Absolutely beautiful - looks like stunning yarn and love the pattern. Might have to invest in that book.

Paisley said...

Helen - the book is definitely worth getting. I wasn't sure when I first got it - I don't think the graphic design of the front cover does it any favours. But I've already made 3 or 4 pairs from this book and there's still a ton of options left to explore.

Donni - you must persist!