Sunday, 8 July 2007

Baudelaire 1 commence


Baudelaire 1 commence, originally uploaded by Paisley Womble.

I cast on for the Knit-along during the Tour de France prologue last night - I hope that's allowed. It looks like London put on some spectacular weather and a warm welcome for the riders.
This is the first time that I've tried Judy's Magic Cast-On. So far I have preferred to use a provisional cast and short row toe for toe-up socks. The first couple of rounds were a pain on dpns (I think the technique would be easier with two circs), but after that, it went pretty smoothly. I also took the advice found in my new copy of Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitting Workshop which recommends that you increase by yarnover, then knitting into the back of the yarnover on the next round. This looks pretty neat I think.
I'm using Cherry Tree Hill Supersock in Java (I love this colour-way), on 2.25mm Knit Picks dpns.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Looks like a great start! I'm also planning to make Baudelaires for the Tour de France knitalong. I'm a little intimidated by all the sizing options so I will likely be back bugging you as to what you've discovered so far in the pattern.

I'm a complete convert to the Magic Cast-on. I'm a Magic Looper and yes, it seems much easier on a circular needle.

Happy Knitting!