Thursday, 5 July 2007

"Matchy Matchy"

At the risk of breaking the apocryphal (?) dictum of Anna Wintour (editor of American Vogue) against outfits that are too "matchy-matchy", I can now accessorise my outfit with matching socks and shawl. The Sea Silk Shawl in the Woodland colour-way....
Woodland Sea Gumleaf Shawl

...has been joined by the Sea Wool Socks in the Woodland colour-way.
Woodland Sea Monkey detail

I'm sure I don't need to tell you that this pattern is everywhere at the moment. Take a look the Cookie's Sock Creations Flickr group to see a selection if you're interested.
Why is it so popular? For starters, it's by Cookie A who is the height of cool in sock design at the moment - and deservedly so. Plus the pattern is very easy to memorise while still producing a relatively intricate effect.
Would I knit them again? Given that I have so many other patterns in my sock queue that I haven't tried yet, the honest answer is probably not. However hypothetically I would, with the modification of only doing 4 pattern repeats on the leg instead of 6. Perhaps I would also modify them by just doing a 2x2 rib on the cuff rather than 1x1 twisted rib. The twisted rib looks fabulous, but it's not quite as stretchy and these socks are just that little bit too snug at the top so they tend to bunch around the ankle.

Sock Statistics:
Pattern: Monkey by Cookie A
Yarn: Fleece Artist Sea Wool in Woodland (I can't see this colourway on the Fleece Artist website, although it is still listed on the Hand Maiden branch)
Needles: 2.5 mm addi turbo circs (2 socks on 2 circs at once)

2 comments:

knittingjuju said...

These are lovely. I could see sticking with that yarn for a few more projects, it's beautiful. And if you ever feel nervous about it, you could send me either the shawl or the socks, so you don't fall down a fashion pit.

knitabulous said...

I preferred knitting the beaudelaire's myself, but I love the matchy matchy.

It's seasilk and sea wool, how could that be too much?!