Thursday, 26 July 2007

TdF KAL - étape 16

Some dot point notes
  • Rasmussen wins the stage, but then the Rabobank team withdraws him from the tour.
  • Another rider - Moreni - and his team join Vinokourov and the Astana team on the failed-doping-test bench.
  • On the bright side, Aussie Cadel is now in 2nd place on the overall standings.
  • Last night I frogged the gansey sock that I was experimenting with. The shaping was interesting but I wasn't feeling the love.
  • Instead, inspired by the determined mountain climber Donni, I cast on for the second Bayerische sock which will be my home knitting.
  • For train knitting, I decided to pay some attention to my sock queue and made a start on a pair of Razorshell socks. The yarn is Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in Bittersweet, which I've had ear-marked for this pattern for quite some time.

Razorshell beginning


Some spoiler-free thoughts on the whole Harry Potter thing.

I've finished the book and was mightily impressed with the way that JKR wrapped the whole thing up. My head was spinning by the end.

I went to buy my book on Saturday morning and decided to brave the nightmare that is Chadstone Shopping Centre, because previous experience (ie: the release of the last two books) had taught me that the easiest and cheapest way to get your HP fix on the first day, is to high-tail it to K-Mart or Big W, where odds on, you can just wander in, pick up a book and make your way through the check-outs in a comparatively orderly fashion. This is what I did at about 10-ish on the Saturday morning. Kmart had no queue, a big stock of the book and I was in and out in about 5 minutes.
Out of curiosity though, I decided to go around to the Borders store to check out how the HP sales were going there. The Chadstone Borders has three levels and I found a queue on every level, snaking it's way round almost every row of shelving. As far as I could tell, these were all the people who had pre-ordered their book so that they "wouldn't miss out". All I could think was "Suckers! You might get a free beanie owl, or HP shopping bag, but I get to go home straight away and start reading, with no standing in a queue for hours on end required".

2 comments:

Donyale said...

A team is only as good as it's team mates - go Team Bayerische......

Genevieve said...

I pre-ordered mine, and went to the midnight release party. I was out in 20 minutes! Even though I was number 209! That's pretty impressive.