Wednesday, 22 August 2007

Sidewinder number one

Although I had been intrigued by the idea, I was a bit dubious while I was knitting it. It just looked like a big mess, with stitch markers akimbo and rows that seemed to go on forever. The leg seemed really long when I don't really like my socks to be too long. And then there was the prospect of doing a kitchener graft all the way down the back of the leg, down under the heel and along the length of the sole.....

But last night, I put a couple of Stephen-Fry-reading-Harry-Potter CDs in the stereo, sat down, sucked it up, and did the graft. And you know what? The sock actually fits pretty well. Even around the top of the leg.


Sidewinder in profile

And the grafting? It wasn't so bad. In fact, doing a graft that long forced me to get into a rhythm with it and I actually discovered a better technique which allowed me to keep the tension more even.
Even the under-toe graft doesn't look too bad.


Sidewinder - toe graft

It's a little bit rough to look at, but it's on the underside of the foot, it's smooth enough to wear and foot weight will flatten it out completely.

I still have one concern - the decreases. To shape both the heel and the toe, you work paired decreases or paired increases on every row. My increases worked fine - a tiny bit puckered, but they'll flatten out.

Sidewinder - heel increases

But the decreases have a tendency to ladder even though I was pulling the yarn as tight as I dared. You can see it on the heel...

Sidewinder - heel decreases

and also on the toe...


Sidewinder - toe decreases

I have a theory on how to fix this which I might try out on the second sock. If I include a single stitch to separate the decreases, then the ladder might disappear.

Yes? No?

1 comment:

Genevieve said...

yes, I think your idea of a single stitch might help with the ladders...