Tuesday, 23 October 2007

choosing school shoes

I remember my mum and I shopping for school shoes before I started year 7. The choice came down to 2 styles, the Clarks T-Bar "sandal" (still a classic now) or the "pastie" (can't remember the brand on that one - they had an upturned seam running the centre length of the shoe which made them resemble a Cornish pastie). The saleswoman told us that most girls went for the t-bar shoes. But I decided that the pastie was more comfortable - even at 11, I favoured practicality over fashion.

I don't suppose that anyone really paid that much attention to my shoes (remember that remark in The Shawshank Redemption? - I always thought that a bit strange, because I do notice people's shoes. Perhaps men don't...), but throughout that first year of secondary school I felt painfully aware that even my shoes didn't fit in with everyone else's. In later years I went through a couple of pairs of t-bars in an attempt to feel like more of the crowd. But by year 12, I celebrated being different by wearing these funky black canvas shoes that I'd got in France in preceding summer holidays. Vive la difference....

And my point is? T-bars might have been the height of fashion for school-wear, but you don't see many grown-ups wearing them. They are, however, a damn fine shoe for showing off hand-knitted socks. So here are my new Footprints T-bar shoes teamed with a newly finished pair of socks.

socks and footprints

Vital Stats:
Pattern - Elongated Corded Rib from Sensational Knitted Socks.
Yarn - SWTC TOFUtsies
Needles - 2mm addi circs - magic looped (one sock at a time)
Started - Sep 2007
Finished - Oct 2007

Elongated corded rib socks

2 comments:

Bryony Ramsden said...

T bar shoes rock :D The socks are very cute, especially with the shoes!

Anonymous said...

As a young boy back in the 1960's I wore the T Bar Clarks and it was common place. It was not seen as a girls shoe but that of like a unisex shoe that both boys and girls wore when they were like 6 to 12 years old or so. I loved them, they where very comfee, wish i could wear them now. But I know everyone would look at me all weird like over it. But back then it was normal as was the same canvas sneakers that only girls wear now.