Saturday, 24 November 2007

Vote early... vote often...


Voting Queue, originally uploaded by Paisley Womble.

Most Saturdays I struggle to get going in the morning. Mum usually rings and we spend half an hour or so trying to finish the Friday cryptic crossword (DA on Fridays in The Age is our nemesis!). Then I puddle around at home in my pyjamas and often don't get around to having a shower until way past midday.
But this morning I was organised. I went and got my hair cut and then I ducked round to the local primary school and cast my vote. (I even made the effort to vote below the line for the Senate. Filling in all 68 boxes on the Senate ballot gave me a perverse satisfaction. I don't envy those doing the counting.)
Voting is compulsory here so the chances are that there are scenes like this one all over the country at this very moment. I didn't time how long I was queued up, but in the grand scheme of things, it really wasn't an arduous wait, although I should have worn a hat.
Now all we can do is cross our fingers, fire up the barbie and wait for the count this evening.

No comments: