Friday, 28 December 2007

A medallion quilt history


DSC01938, originally uploaded by Paisley Womble.

I've been home visiting my parents for Christmas and this is the quilt that I've been sleeping under while I'm here. I completed this quilt in 1999 after working on it on and off over several years. The central panel and the first postage stamp border are hand pieced. The rest is machine pieced. Then the whole thing is hand quilted. I gifted it to Mum after she had dropped lots of heavy hints that she would really like a quilt. In particular, she would really like this one.
This is truly a scrap quilt and many of the fabrics hold memories of other projects, bits of clothing and the odd holiday here and there. I love the medallion style of quilt. You can grow a quilt bit by bit, without having to plan it all out beforehand. Although you can see that I was running out of inspiration - or perhaps stamina - when it came to the last border. I kept that very basic with pieced strips and mitred corners.