Saturday, 29 December 2007

More patchwork history


DSC01957, originally uploaded by Paisley Womble.

This is one of my earliest pieces of patchwork. I'm guessing that I would have been about 13 or 14 when I pieced this. I was just mastering the art of the sewing machine and I got carried away with piecing square after square from our stash of scraps.
Once it was pieced I think it got tucked away for several years and was never made into a finished item.
Then I remember Mum and I found it one day. I wasn't fussed about it and made a flippant suggestion that I could take it apart and re-use the fabric. Mum would have none of that and said that she could use the whole piece for something. The next time I came home, she had lined it with some netting and made it into a bright curtain for their en suite bathroom. I love the stained glass window effect that it makes.
It's been up there for years now and it's fascinating to see which fabrics have held their colour and which have faded in the sunlight.

1 comment:

Donni said...

It's so Lovely Miss P