Tuesday, 5 February 2008

Playing with piles...

On Saturday morning I had one of my periodic sorties through the fabric stash. I had an extremely vague vision of making a couple of patchwork baby blankie/playmat type thingies. I ended up with 7 piles of possible combinations which I then whittled down to 6... (I know - really ruthless huh?)

Fabric piles

There was one combination that I was leaning to in particular, but I wasn't sure how it would go over. So with photos on USB stick, it was off to visit eventual recipient number 1. S was pretty definite in her selection, which matched up with my inclination which gave me more motivation to keep moving with the project.


DSC02002

I don't usually approach quilts from a fabric-first direction. I usually follow a pattern (or at least a pre-determined layout) and then choose fabrics to suit. This time, I wanted to keep things pretty simple and quick with big shapes - squares and rectangles. I decided on the finished dimensions and then drafted an off-centre panel of squares with a border along two edges, then a bottom panel of rectangles.


DSC02016

I'm about two thirds of the way through the piecing now and I'm pretty pleased with how it's looking. I'm hoping it has the "zing" that S likes.