Sunday, 25 May 2008

More baby stuff...


DSC02658, originally uploaded by Paisley Womble.

This year it seems like everyone I know is having babies. (Except me - no danger of that...) Hence the proliferation of baby stuff that has been paraded here over the past few months, and there's plenty more (babies and knitting) to come.
This cardigan is based on a pattern from an old Patons book - Cuddly Gear for Cuddly Babies. But the pattern was written to knit in flat pieces. It seemed to me that a raglan cardigan was just the thing to experiment with turning it into a seamless project. So the sleeves were knit on dpns up to the armholes, then the fronts and back were worked all in one up to the armpits. I left a 12 stitch opening (6 from the body, 6 from the sleeve) at the armpits, joined the sleeves and body together and then knit the yoke all in one. I love the way that the stripes meet up all the way round.
My underarm joins are a bit funky. I did a three needle bind off which still left me with a little hole on either side, so I just sort of darned them closed. I should do some reading up and see whether there's a secret to avoiding that.
The buttons have been in my stash since I came back from England in 2001. I bought them at Liberty's. They originally went on a skirt that I made from various Liberty Tana Lawn prints. The skirt has since been repurposed for patchwork fabric - I'm not much of a skirt wearer (I wish I was, but I don't find them very comfortable) - and the buttons have been sitting in the stash waiting for the right project. That they are pretty much a perfect match for the green in this cardigan was completely serendipitous.
The yarn, by the way, is gorgeous. Every now and then, Spotlight gets something right. This is an 80% bamboo / 20% wool blend and it feels wonderful. It's marketed as 8 ply (DK), but it's almost more of a sportweight - somewhere between 5 and 8 ply. I was in Wondoflex yesterday and saw a Sirdar Baby Bamboo/Wool yarn which looked and felt very similar so I'm guessing that Spotlight has "been inspired" by that.
What's up next? Decisions... decisions... I really need to pull some of my patchwork UFOs out and give them some of my attention.

3 comments:

sue said...

Ooh such a cute baby sweater. You never gave us the name of the Spotlight yarn, do they still sell it.

Paisley said...

The Spotlight yarn is called Bella Baby Layette. It was listed in the latest catalogue so they should still be carrying it in stores.

Genevieve said...

very cute!