Friday, 26 September 2008

A little word of encouragement

I don't like to be preachy - people in glass houses an' all that - but every now and then it can't hurt to give out a little reminder.

Natalie's husband has just reached a milestone, having made 100 blood donations. I've got a long way to go before I catch up.

I was about 30 when I started giving blood. I should have started earlier, but it was always one of those things that I just never got around to even though I knew I should. You know - procrastination rears its ugly head yet again. But now I go regularly. The nurses there are always lovely, they're pretty adept at finding my sometimes-reticent veins and I leave feeling that even I do nothing else, at least I've made one tangible contribution to the community that I know will be valued somewhere down the line.

Australians can check their eligibility to donate blood and make appointments with the Australian Red Cross Blood Service here: http://www.donateblood.com.au

1 comment:

Genevieve said...

I am not allowed to give blood, at least in the States, because I might have MAD COW DISEASE.