Friday, 26 September 2008

an omnivore's 100

I came across this via Genevieve. It originates from Very Good Taste.


1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.
4) Optional extra: Post a comment here http://www.verygoodtaste.co.uk/uncategorised/the-omnivores-hundred/ linking to your results.
(this link is also really useful if you don't know what some of these are - he links to Wikipedia explanations - quite educational)

The VGT Omnivore’s Hundred:

1. Venison
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros (it would have to be a bean-free version)
4. Steak tartare (I love the idea of this - one day I will be brave enough to order it in a restaurant)
5. Crocodile
6. Black pudding (this was one of my dad's favourites but I've never tried it. I think it might be very rich)
7. Cheese fondue (this would really depend on the cheese - nothing to strong)
8. Carp
9. Borscht (beetroot? blech)
10. Baba ghanoush
11. Calamari
12. Pho
13. PB&J sandwich (I don't like peanuts)
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart
16. Epoisses (I don't do pongy cheeses)
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
19. Steamed pork buns (Char Siu Bao! I love these)
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras

24. Rice and beans (I don't do beans)
25. Brawn, or head cheese (qualifier - I might have had a cheap and nasty version of this from the supermarket deli when I was a kid, but I remember that being really horrible)
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper (I'm not a masochist)
27. Dulce de leche (I'd never heard of this - it sounds yummy - and similar to the "caramel" we used to make with tins of condensed milk)
28. Oysters
29. Baklava

30. Bagna cauda (never heard of this one either - sounds good)
31. Wasabi peas (wasabi - blech, peas - blech)
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl (this sounds tasty)
33. Salted lassi (I've drunk mango lassi, but not salted)
34. Sauerkraut
35. Root beer float (but I've drunk plenty of lime spiders - lime soda with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream)
36. Cognac with a fat cigar (cognac yes, but no cigar)
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects
43. Phaal (I like to taste my curry)
44. Goat’s milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
46. Fugu
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi (never again - my face was a sight to see)
53. Abalone
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal (on the rare occasions I go to Macca's I always have the Filet o Fish Meal)
56. Spaetzle (I'm learning so much - never heard of this before - but again - it looks good)
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV (I don't drink beer)
59. Poutine
60. Carob chips
61. S’mores
62. Sweetbreads
63. Kaolin
64. Currywurst
65. Durian (this stuff may well be delicious, but the smell really puts me off)
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
68. Haggis
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette (the whole possibility of leftover faecal matter just puts me off)
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini
73. Louche absinthe (never again though)
74. Gjetost, or brunost
75. Roadkill
76. Baijiu
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail
79. Lapsang souchong (this is my aunt's favourite. The smoky smell is a bit strong for my taste but it seemed too extreme to strike it out completely)
80. Bellini
81. Tom yum
82. Eggs Benedict

83. Pocky
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant.
85. Kobe beef (to be completely accurate, I'm not sure that it was Kobe beef - but it was definitely Wagyu - and delicious)
86. Hare
87. Goulash
88. Flowers
89. Horse
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam (when I was very small - I wouldn't touch the stuff now - blech)
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox (yum, oh yum, oh yum)
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
100. Snake

OK - all this talk about food is making me hungry. Is it lunchtime yet?

2 comments:

Genevieve said...

re dulce de leche - when I was in Argentina, my Australian friend had never had this/heard of it before, and neither had this other Aussie girl we met. Which is funny to me... here, we eat it all the time, can buy dulce de leche flavored yogurts, baked into muffins, etc. I love it. So yummy. I'll get you some at some point. :-)

janet said...

in the latest issue of delicious, they have a chef from a spanish cafe make it.... basically just gently boils a.... wait for it... can of sweetened condensed milk