Thursday, 23 October 2008

Finally.....


DSC02873, originally uploaded by Paisley Womble.

...I am able to present the Noro Kureyon Sock socks-of-doom. I'm wearing them now and they're pretty comfy on, so I guess it was worth it, but knitting these socks took a loooooong time. Nothing wrong with the pattern - Slipped Stitch's "Boyfriend Socks" is a nice simple toe-up pattern, short-row-heeled, with some attractive cables adding interest. The pattern was really easy to memorize - everything the perfect train-knitting project should offer. The trouble was the gauge. Knitting this Noro at a really tight gauge (which I was - on 2mm needles) was a slow and sometimes uncomfortable process. I usually choose my sock needle size using the rather unscientific method of eyeballing the sock yarn and making a judgement about whether it's a slightly thinner, slightly thicker or middle-ish sock weight - which then points me to either 2mm, 2.5mm or 2.25mm. Generally I find that I don't go far wrong with this rule of thumb.
I guess next time I will just have to try going up a size or two with the Noro. I also have a sneaky suspicion that my general tension has increased in the past year as my knitting style has developed into a speedier technique ( I finally worked out how to wrap the yarn round the right-hand needle without letting go of it - it only took me twenty years.....)

3 comments:

Lynne said...

The finished socks look very pretty and you even mamaged to watch the striping pattern - well done!

Anonymous said...

Well done!
C.

Genevieve said...

you are a brave girl, knitting socks with noro! well done.