Sunday, 16 November 2008

I spun some yarn


DSC02895, originally uploaded by Paisley Womble.

South African Fine Top in colourway Party Hat 1. Purchased from Ewe give me the knits. (Sticking with local sellers for the moment - the Australian dollar being so cactus at the moment means that I really need to give a lot more thought to buying stuff from overseas). I forgot to take a picture of the roving pre-spinning.

It took a while to get the hang of this. Spinning prepared top, rather than greasy wool straight off the sheep's back, requires much slower treadling and extra care to stop it getting away from you.

Having said that, there's no wastage at my end. The plait of roving was 110 g and every last bit of that has gone into the skein. I've got no idea of the yardage or the wpi. As you can see from the photo, it's not perfectly even, but I'd hazard a guess from eyeballing it, that it would average out at about an 8 ply (DK).

2 comments:

donyale said...

WOW - looks wonderful!

Genevieve said...

it's so pretty! well done, you!