Monday, 25 February 2008

Cast on sock


DSC02044, originally uploaded by Paisley Womble.

I've had these two skeins of LL Shepherd Sock in the Ravenswood colourway sitting in the stash for ages. It really is a gorgeous colour combo and this really is the softest, but toughest sock yarn ever. Pattern is Deb Barnhill's Diamante from Knitty.com - simple, but interesting enough. The Knit Picks Harmony dpns are going pretty well too - not too much anxiety-causing flex.

Sunday, 17 February 2008

Hats and Cakes

Why make one...
DSC02041

...when you could make two?
DSC02040


This is the first time I've tried the i-cord cast-off. I've avoided this in the past, mostly because the examples that I've seen are usually on BSJs and I don't like the way that the i-cord tends to slightly gather the cast-off edge. But on these bonnets, that tendency actually improves the shape. I'm quite chuffed at how neat the finish is on these hats. I was so impressed by the Bulldogs hat that I finished on Friday night, that on Saturday I cast-on and finished the second hat all in one day.

Today I have been seeking to channel the kitchen side of my inner domestic goddess. Carrot cupcakes (or cuppy-pans as a friend's daughter calls them) from a recipe by Nigella Lawson from How to be a Domestic Goddess. These have plain lemon icing instead of cream cheese frosting.
DSC02036

Wednesday, 13 February 2008

"Sorry"

See John? That wasn't so hard.

Now that parliament is back after the summer break, we can really see what our Kevin is made of.

In the words of another Big Kev, "I'm excited".

Sunday, 10 February 2008

New patchwork for Baby A


DSC02027, originally uploaded by Paisley Womble.

Fabric - selected last weekend by S
Design - improvised by me
Construction - simple machine piecing
Backing - light blue cotton chenille
Posed - on washing line
Gratification - from a quick project completed.

Tuesday, 5 February 2008

Playing with piles...

On Saturday morning I had one of my periodic sorties through the fabric stash. I had an extremely vague vision of making a couple of patchwork baby blankie/playmat type thingies. I ended up with 7 piles of possible combinations which I then whittled down to 6... (I know - really ruthless huh?)

Fabric piles

There was one combination that I was leaning to in particular, but I wasn't sure how it would go over. So with photos on USB stick, it was off to visit eventual recipient number 1. S was pretty definite in her selection, which matched up with my inclination which gave me more motivation to keep moving with the project.


DSC02002

I don't usually approach quilts from a fabric-first direction. I usually follow a pattern (or at least a pre-determined layout) and then choose fabrics to suit. This time, I wanted to keep things pretty simple and quick with big shapes - squares and rectangles. I decided on the finished dimensions and then drafted an off-centre panel of squares with a border along two edges, then a bottom panel of rectangles.


DSC02016

I'm about two thirds of the way through the piecing now and I'm pretty pleased with how it's looking. I'm hoping it has the "zing" that S likes.

Friday, 1 February 2008

Wrangling


DSC01999, originally uploaded by Paisley Womble.

Emily Ocker circular cast on + dpns + stitch markers = jangly wrangly mess