Sunday, 3 January 2010

Handmade Christmas presents

In the lead up to Christmas, a few female newspaper columnists, most notable among them Germaine Greer, published articles which seemed to suggest that all homemade Christmas presents are badly made, naff, tasteless, generally undesirable, (horror of horrors!) cheap and, perhaps by implication, nasty.  I'm not going to argue the point as plenty of other bloggers have already done so I'll stop here and just tell this little anecdote from my own experience.

A few weeks ago I made a couple of patchwork shopping/tote bags to give as Christmas presents which I didn't photograph [sorry - bad blogger :-( ].  One of them was given to my aunt, who rang me a few days after Christmas to say how much she enjoyed carrying her new shopping bag, declining plastic bags, as she did the rounds of the Boxing day sales and how the short handles were the perfect length for someone of her stature - so much better than any of her purchased non-plastic shopping bags.  I was chuffed.

3 comments:

Sheep Rustler said...

"badly made, naff, tasteless, generally undesirable, (horror of horrors!) cheap and, perhaps by implication, nasty." A perfect description of Ms Greer herself on a bad day! (I like her on her good days). Glad your aunt liked her hand-made present. Let's make a resolve never to make anything for Germaine!!

Genevieve said...

you rock. glad that your aunt liked her bag and that you were vindicated!

Lynne said...

Yay for your aunt - she vindicates us all.