Wednesday, 20 January 2010

Reclaimed tweed

A few years ago I knit Teva Durham's asymmetric mock cable vest from her book Loop-d-Loop. It wasn't a great choice for me, especially given that the largest size written (38" bust) was always going to be way too small. But I thought that the mock cable pattern looked really cool, so I gave it a go using some Patons Shadow Tweed that I'd got on sale at Clegs. With a bit of tweaking and some negative ease, it fit, even if it didn't sit very nicely (the edges curling like the clappers was meant to be a design feature apparently).
I wore it once - to an Anzac day BBQ if I remember correctly - and a friend snapped a photo of me in it. I looked at the photo, decided that it made me look even more like a lumpy grey apple than usual and shoved it away in the cupboard, never to be worn again.
Then I started seeing versions of the Shalom Cardigan popping up on Ravelry and I thought "oh, I should frog that vest and re-knit it into this some time".
And finally, early one Sunday morning a few weeks ago, I got a bee in my bonnet and spent it frogging, winding, washing and hanging out great big skeins of bulky weight yarn. I cast on that evening.
DSC03225DSC03226

I'm so glad I did. This is much better. Full project details are ravelled here.

1 comment:

Lynne said...

Ravelry is a very useful knitting tool, isn't it?