Thursday, 16 June 2011

Blood red?


IMG_1488, originally uploaded by Paisley Womble.

I got up just after 5 this morning to look at a rusty-red total lunar eclipse. It was cold, but clear and still in the pre-dawn.
The photo is a little blurry as I don't have a tripod and hands are generally not steady enough for these longer exposure shots.
The news reports here are all gushing over the moon turning "blood red". I suppose this description stems from the phrase "blood red sky", but the colour was really more a rusty red. I guess that doesn't really sound quite so romantic.

2 comments:

Lynne said...

I knew nothing about it and even if I did that time of morning in winter is "Stay in bed time"!

You have taken a lovely photo - thanks for sharing.

Taxastrikkeren said...

Here in Denmark came the moon ca. 22.00 - and the lights from daytime was still here - a lot. We have summertime now but the sky was cloudy and we cut not see any moon. In another parts of the land it was possibyl.

Gitte from Denmark