Sunday, 19 June 2011

Wagga-ish


IMG_1492, originally uploaded by Paisley Womble.

A long-standing UFO is U no more. If memory serves me correct, I pieced this quilt about 8 years ago. And I may well have pieced the back and sandwiched it then as well. Then it kept on being bundled up as the quilting was put off, and put off. Then a few weeks ago I got a bee in my bonnet and pulled it out of the cupboard. The quilting is really quick and rough - just a running stitch done with two strands of embroidery thread.
The fabrics are mostly reclaimed clothes. The brown fabric on the bottom border was from a second hand pair of trousers that I got at the market when I was at uni. They were made from the softest corduroy I have ever come across in my life, and I had to have them even though they were way too small. I opened up the side seams and put inserts in to make them wearable and for several years we were inseparable. Eventually they were beyond patching and I was no longer a scruffy student, but the cord lives on in this wagga quilt.

3 comments:

Lynne said...

Yay for the memories in that quilt. What a great way to revive the traditions of the past.

Anonymous said...

Looks great!!
C.

fiveandtwo said...

That's one great Wagga. I feel a bit more inspired to finish mine now, instead of putting it away somewhere until next year!
I'm also going to make the Stuffed Shells recipe. Thanks for passing that on.