Saturday, 30 November 2013

Catching Fire is catching

I went to see The Hunger Games: Catching Fire this week.  In the opening scenes, Katniss is out hunting in the woods and wears a woollen cowl/cape/neck&chest-warmer type thingy and being a crafter of stuff-with-wool, I got a bit distracted for a while.  "I could totally make that..."*
(The movie was fantastic btw.  It's been a while since I read the books, but in my memory it seemed to stay pretty true to the books and the arena looked a lot like I imagined it would.)
A quick search the next day (seriously, what did we do before Google, Ravelry and Twitter ...?) and it emerged that I was definitely not the only one who was mildly obsessed with the Katniss Cowl.
There are already 5 patterns on offer on Ravelry attempting to recreate the design.  None of them are quite what I have in mind.
So...

...I'm plotting.  I'm thinking that the fleece I'm spinning at the moment would work with this.  I have clear idea in my head on how to do the rolls around the neck.  I'm not sure how I'll do the shaping on the lower panels.  Next step - doll-sized cowl as a test piece.


* The books were written for "young adults", hence my lapse into teen-speak.

1 comment:

Judy Edmonds said...

Oh gosh, I do this all the time with films and TV! I haven't seen it yet, soon I hope.