Sunday, 5 October 2014

Sorbetto

I've been getting lots of inspiration this year from the bloggers over at the Curvy Sewing Collective. Much of that inspiration hasn't actually translated into a lot of sewing productivity. There are lots of planned projects floating around in my head, but the mess in my sewing room is awkward to work around.
This week I got up early each day before work and spent half an hour in the room, working on this little top, just ignoring the mess. (If I ignore it for long enough, the mess will clear itself.  Right?)


The pattern is Sorbetto by Colette Patterns.

I made a first iteration of this top back in Me Made May.  I needed to grade the pattern up a size to fit my bust and I did it the lazy half-arsed way by just adding half an inch to the centre front and centre back pieces.  Of course I didn't take into account that this would have a corresponding widening effect on the neckline and the first version of the top, while wearable, threatens to fall off my slopey shoulders. So this time I added half an inch to each of the shoulder straps.  Problem solved.

The fabric is (I think) a remnant of cotton voile.  (I can't remember when I bought it.  I suspect probably within the last 5 years and maybe at Clegs....) It feels lovely, but it would have been too see-through on its own, so I lined the top with some soft navy jersey (bamboo? viscose? it's really super-soft) reclaimed from an over-sized t-shirt I made a few years ago.  I made some bias binding with the rest of the cotton voile to finish the neck and armholes.


Making my own bias binding gives me a ridiculous smug satisfaction.


New top ready for the summer to come.

1 comment:

Taxastrikkeren said...

This design is good for you! Make one more, black and 10 cm longer and you are the queen of the party. We stil have nice weater in Denmark, but it can change every day so we love the sun and no vind and rain. But it will come. So, take care of the sun and send it back in april 😉